Your doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory antibiotics if your eyes swollen. Eye inserts are for more severe conditions. In case ordinary OTC tears drops do not have any effect, your doctor may apply serious measures like injections. They may prescribe clear tubes of medication that come along as grains and are placed into your eyes like contact lens. It is easy to put on the inserts if you have experience with contacts. Place them between the eyeballs and lower eyelids.